Islamic History Podcast: Amr And Cyrus
- The Romans, either from fear or incompetence, had done little to stop Amr during this time
- Finally, they had to march out from Babylon to meet Amr near Heliopolis and try to drive him from Egypt for good
- Amr’s spies told him of their movements and he planned to go out to meet them in battle.
- But during the night he sent out two smaller forces; one in the hills overlooking the plains.
- Another went into a nearby village the Muslims had recently captured and abandoned
- Amr led the main body of soldiers from Heliopolis and the two sides met in early July 640
- The Roman forces numbered about 20000 and used mostly archers and spearmen with some light cavalry
Join The ILM Club for just $1.00
Read “Is The Mosque A Place For Children?”
Subscribe to the Islamic History Podcast on iTunes